APPLY FOR THE 2013 – 2014 GUEST ARTIST INITIATIVE OPPORTUNITY: Carrie
Michigan State University Seeking a Director/Choreographer
Full SDC Members eligible only. Deadline to apply January 6.
Michigan State University is seeking a Director/Choreographer through SDCF’s Guest Artist Initiative Program to direct a production of Carrie. All Full SDC members are encouraged to apply. Because this position will be on an SDC contract, only Full SDC Members in good standing are eligible to apply for this position.
An ideal Guest Artist would be expected to collaborate with students, faculty, and staff in a kind and respectful manner while fulfilling normal duties of a director/choreographer (meeting with designers, providing concept, conducting rehearsals, staging/blocking, coaching performers, attending production meetings, communicating with producers, etc) and enjoy being a part of the MSU community while in residence.
Directing fee for this project will be $8,000 plus standard SDC Pension and Health (currently an $800 contribution).
Schedule for this production:
Auditions Apr, 2014 (tentative)
Rehearsals Aug 30 – Oct 10, 2014; Mon – Fri 6:15 – 10:15pm and Sat 12 – 5pm.
Performances Oct 10 – 19, 2014.
The Guest Artist will be provided with
- roundtrip airfare for auditions and for rehearsal
- a hotel with kitchenette located two miles from campus
- a car
- amenities including: gym membership; a pair of Big Ten Football tickets; special department, faculty and donor events; and library access
- invitations to special events
Responsibilities of Guest Artist:
- Direction and choreography of the musical Carrie
- Presence (virtually, if necessary) for design and production meetings
- Mentorship of design and acting students
- Limited outreach activities
- And, if desired, for an additional fee of $1500 (on top of $8000 directing fee), teaching a ten-session, twice-a-week two-hour class of guest’s choice (with syllabus creation and grading handled by university faculty and course assistant).
Faculty and graduate students will be involved in all aspects of design.
To apply for this Guest Artist position, please submit the materials described below by email to SDCFPrograms@SDCweb.org. So we can accurately track and include your submission, please follow these rules when applying:
1. Subject line of your email submission should be Michigan.
2. Materials requested below should be submitted as ONE pdf or document, and the file should be titled Michigan Your Last Name (for example, Michigan Rusconi) with the appropriate extension (.doc, .docx, .pdf). Materials should be limited to:
- Project Statement – 2 pages maximum. This letter should reflect your aesthetic, who you are as a director, and give your perspective on the project and the potential connection with Michigan State University. The letter should be addressed “Dear Faculty.”
- Directing Resume – 2 pages maximum Please focus on your professional directing experience as opposed to teaching experience; while teaching is relevant, you are applying for a directing position, not a faculty position.
- Contact information of 3 professional references (this information can be on your resume if that’s more convenient)
Please do not submit additional materials such as press materials, quotes, or photos. Due to the volume of submissions, these will not be looked at or included in your materials submitted to the University.
Application deadline is January 6 at noon eastern time. There will be no extensions whatsoever for any reason. Please be sure to submit materials with time to accommodate any issues you may experience with electronic submission. If you are unable to email the documents, you may mail them to the Foundation, but they must be in the Foundation office by January 6 at noon eastern time; this is a receipt date, not a postmark date. Late submissions will not be considered.
Only SDC Full Members in good standing are eligible to be hired for positions through the Guest Artist Initiative because the position is offered on an SDC contract. Do not contact the school directly; this program is designed to make it easier for schools to hire professionals and, thus, we will be acting as administrator (though SDCF plays no role in selection).
Please direct any questions regarding this program to Ellen Rusconi at ERusconi@SDCweb.org or 646.524.2226.